Allstate Insurance Company - Web Development Lead
Location: Northbrook, Illinois Dates: April 1999 – July 2004
Skills Utilized for this Role
I started working at Allstate Insurance almost immediately after high school. At the time, Allstate was set on being the first insurer to provide online rating as well as self-service options to their customers. The website has to connect with local DMV’s to pull in MVRs for premium rating, parse out to the major three credit bureos, as well as to connect with home office.
After the site was launched, user adoption was low. Allstate’s marketing firm did not have experience in marketing a platform such as this, so a group of their developers was kept on to market the very product they had designed, I was included in this group. This pre-dates Facebook, and much of the way the internet functions now.
- Website and software application designing, building, or maintaining.
- Using scripting or authoring languages, management tools, content creation tools, applications, and digital media.
- Conferring with teams to resolve conflicts, prioritize needs, develop content criteria, or choose solutions.
- Directing or performing Website updates.
- Developing or validating test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types.
- Editing, writing, or designing Website content, and directing team members who produce content.
- Maintaining an understanding of the latest Web applications and programming practices through education, study, and participation in conferences, workshops, and groups.
- Back up files from Web sites to local directories for recovery.
- Identifying problems uncovered via customer feedback and testing, and correcting or referring problems to appropriate personnel for correction.
- Evaluating code to ensure it meets industry standards, is valid, is properly structured, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems.
- Determining user needs by analyzing technical requirements.
- Conceptualizing creative ideas with leadership team.
- Testing and improving the design of the website.
- Establishing design guidelines, standards, and best practices.
- Maintaining the appearance of websites by enforcing content standards.
- Designing visual imagery for websites and ensuring that they are in line with company branding.
- Working with different content management systems.
- Communicating design ideas using user flows, process flows, site maps, and wireframes.
- Incorporating functionalities and features into websites.
- Designing sample pages including colors and fonts.
- Preparing design plans and presenting the website structure.